Thursday 1 January 2015

Last Bit of Rock in 2014

After a busy xmas with a bit of setting and a good morning bouldering session locally.  I was not expecting much from our day at Hobson Moor yesterday.  The general consensus was routes, so Hobson, being reasonably sheltered and quick drying fit the bill.  Ben and Dan started off on Crew's Routes VS 4c*,  so I soloed a fee things to warm up before seconding that also. Dan is just getting into trad, so started his leading off on Evening Ridge Midnight Variation S. Not a classic, but got him moving. I started off with Sunshine Superman E2 5b*.  A bold little number with a fee damp holds, which made it interesting.   Ben then led this also.  A great led as he is still getting his head back after a broken ankle bouldering.

Ben on Sunshine Superman

Dan the led Crew's Route which he avoided seconding earlier.  I used that time to clean and dryish Eastern Touch E4 6a*.  As it was damp I opted to pre place the gear as I can't afford to hurt myself with winter work booked in next week.  I Flashed the route, which had some nice climbing.  A route that has gear that could be placed off jugs all the way up.  Ben took advantage of my work and Flashed the route in the same style.

Flashing Eastern Touch
Dan then led his first HVS in Parker's Eliminate HVS 5a***.  A solid lead.

Dan sending large



I again cleaned and attempted to dry Gardener's World E4 6b*.  This was proper wet in the crux, but it is safe, so I pre placed the gear again and gave it a lash.  It was touch and go through the wet crux, almost dropping it clipping the gear mid crux as I was sliding off the wet holds.  I managed to bear down and keep going, drying my hand for every move from halfway to the top.  Good climbing that would be quite straightforward if it was dry.

We rapped the day off with a solo of Tighe's Arete E1 5a**, then some bouldering.

A good day at a venue with a good selection on days like this.

No comments: