Tuesday 28 August 2012

West is Best!!!

When everyone is still obsessed with the Peak, it makes for quiet crags in the western areas.  Dan made the drive over to experience this for himself, and we met Elliot there as well.

Elliot cruising Summery
After the short walk in we were a little disappointed to see the first and second pit soaking.  I was pretty confident that it would all dry up in a couple of hours, So we headed down to the 6th pit to solo a few of the easy routes that stayed dry.  We quickly dispatched Contents E1 5a*, Intro Wall HS 4b** and Summery HVS 5b*.  It was then into the 5th pit for Weaver's Wall E3 5b***.  I led the way with a cheeky solo, then Dan and Elliot both led the route.  The cams at half height would just keep you off the ground if you blew the crux at the top (maybe!)  I was then pleasantly surprised when I managed to solo Yarn Spinner  E4 6c** in a couple of attempts.  This was an excellent, fiercely thin wall that just got harder the higher you went.  Probably the best tick of the day for me, which is saying something with what followed.

Me on sighting Weaver's Wall

Elliot about to get committed above the gear on Weaver's Wall

Mid crux
 Back up into Spanner pit and a mostly dry crag.  Dan ticked his second E3 of the day with a great effort on Mangled Digit E3 6a***.  After following this my psyche was still high.  Elliot was keen to try The Connection E4 6b***, so whilst Dan belayed Elliot, I gave Phaestus E4 5c** a quick brush after the soaking it had had.  Happy with what I had seen, I continued my ever improving day with a quick solo flash.

Dan getting stuck into Mangled Digit

Almost there
Elliot was having a hard time with the crux of The Connection, so as he chilled out I onsighted Harvest Moon E4 6b**.  Dan had a go at The Connection as well, but it was a bit to burly after his efforts of the day so far, so opted for the classic Spanner Wall E2 5b***.  On a high, I onsighted The Connection E4 6b*** to tick of all but one route on Spanner Wall.  Elliot cut his loses and followed Dan up Spanner, so I had a quick look at Iguanodon E6 6b**.  Not expecting to do this today as I was pretty tired, I was pleased to find it ok.  After climbing it and belaying myself at the same time on a grigri, it was game on.  A short rest and the route was soon soloed and it was time to call it a day for me.  This is probably my most productive day out, with 29 E points and 18 stars.  I look forward to the next.

Dan wrapped things up with a rapid ascent of Plumb Line VS 4c***.  Hopefully more people will realise that the moors has a lot to offer.

No comments: