Sunday 14 September 2008

Via Ferrata





I have just finished doing the Via Ferrata workshop organised by AMI. This 2 day workshop aimed to familiarise us with working groups and the problems that may arise on the these man made cousres.

The first day we went to a short Via Ferrata in Pielle. The instructors on the workshop wanted to look at the use of a rope with groups, their pros and cons, for the morning. This made for some interesting points of discussion. In the afternoon we ditched the rope. During this session we talked about group management and problem solving on steep group. An interesting day.

On the second day we did a mountain Via Ferrata in Tende. This was longer, more exposed, but not as technical as the previous day. We re-visited some of the things we had covered on the day before as well as looking at zipwire rescues. The weather closed in on us a little some we went into the village to debreif and have coffee.

Overall the weekend was worth while. I don't think I would say I learnt any new skills. This I think is a positive. All the technical skills we used I had already learnt on route gaining my UK qualifications. What I did learn was how they apply to this new arena, which was well worth seeing.

No comments: